Wednesday, February 9, 2011

OOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma

So recently I tried out for a production of Oklahoma by Rogers and Hammerstien. Prior to this audition I knew next to nothing about this classic musical. So good news I GOT IN!!!! It was very exciting yada yada yada, I was to be in the chorus which I was happy about. No honestly I am happy:) No lines, no solos, I may even weasel out of dancing:) This has me happier than a vulture at a carrion cafe'. This also allows me to observe and appreciate what I might not have noticed if I were freaking about about my okie accent.
1. This musical is kind of hilarious:)
I mean "you'll  be walking around like a duck the rest of you're life!" and the Character of Ado Annie (played by Marilee) is so funny but her Father (played Joe N.) takes the cake most of the time.
2. This musical has so many porn references I once thought about quitting. and this leads to #3
3. Aunt Eller is NOT my hero
4. This is one of the first examples of the conditional ballad. You can have your mushy love song without them falling in love after 2 minutes. Like Make Believe from Show Boat (also R&H)
5. Just a little background:) When it comes to literature (not real life) I LOVE CREEPERS:) I really do:) I love myself a good villain. They make a break a story for me sometimes (most of the time). If the villain is flat or his plans or doings don't make me shiver or get sick to my stomach I can't enjoy myself. AT ALL!!!
5. I LOVE JUDD!!! He is the creepiest creep ever! Now at first I wasn't that impressed. His goals were to get the girl. It seemed a classic mustache twirling jamboree with Judd. However, it's more than that. He talks about not being wanting real things, and you feel a tad sorry for him until you feel that something is off. You can't help appreciate what great word smiths that the writers were. They use just the right words so that the phrase could be harmless but there's a carnal edge to it. It makes you so uncomfortable!!! It's hard to explain, but part of this is that the actor (Rob) is really great.
6. Working on this musical will unavoidably cause an okie accents and constant use of okieisms. Seriously it's like a contagious disease. You can't help catch it. Then your roommates make you watch Steel Magnolias and then your stuck.
7. This is a great cast :) I was only worried about a few things at first. Like Ado Annie the girl that plays her has a phenomenal voice and the character does not. But she's so funny and I'd rather listen to good singing than bad.
I'm really excited about this production. I think it will be a good one:)

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen it and in case you couldn't tell, I didn't audition. I am pretty psyched to see it though! Seems like it will be an entertaining show! What does an Okie accent sound like?

    P.s. I totally agree. I love the Villains more than the good guys almost always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hannah banana I always knew you would make the cast of glee... I mean Oklahoma!! bahahaha. I can not wait to hold a huge poster and scream for you when you perform you go girl.

    ReplyDelete